If you don’t live in Northwest Fort Worth, you probably know someone who does. This is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. In my little corner of the Metroplex, we hold a kind of dual citizenship, calling both Fort Worth and Keller home. But, throw a rock in any direction and you can hit another small town — Watauga, Haltom City, North Richland Hills, Roanoke . . . .
We are bursting with new development and family friendly neighborhoods. Anything you need, we probably have it. We have our choice of Targets (super or regular), our choice of Krogers (super or regular), and our choice of Starbucks (all super, of course). But, we also have amazing local spots. Here are a few of my family’s favorites.
- DeVivo Bros. Eatery – DeVivo Bros. is casual enough to bring the kids, and nice enough to feel special. My favorites are the grilled cheese and the calamari with pickled veggies. And don’t skip dessert. Just don’t.
- Maria Cuca’s – This is, by far, my family’s favorite Mexican restaurant. I always get the fish tacos, served with a super spicy, super delicious red sauce, and a mangomoy margarita. My husband loves to have the tacos de papas and a michelada.
- The Poppin Shop – This is a fantastic little gift shop with a ton of fun flavored popcorn. They also sell fudge and gift sets. The Poppin Shop is one of our favorite spots for teacher gifts and movie night treats. (And, I may or may not have served my family popcorn for dinner on a particularly busy Friday night). Try the dill pickle or Texas trio flavors.
- Lone Star Black Belt Academy (LSBBA) – Taekwondo has been one of the best decisions we have made for our son. He is learning self-discipline and respect. He has developed confidence and has taken big risks and seen them pay off. Mr. Jackson has an unusual ability to meet each child where he or she is and intuitively knows when to push and when to step back. They throw a unique and active birthday party, too.
- Aqua Kids Keller – We have been taking swimming lessons at Aqua Kids for years. The staff is professional and kind, and the lessons are effective. My son is a strong and confident swimmer, and it is entirely because of Aqua Kids. They also throw an easy birthday party that is always a hit. We’ve celebrated two birthdays here.
- Dogs Rule Resort – We regularly drop in for doggie day care, letting our rowdy pup run off some energy – helping preserve our sanity and our furniture. They have puppy cams so we can check in throughout the day (and we do). Dogs Rule also offers boarding, grooming, and a few vaccinations by appointment.
- Lucky Dog Training – We took our new puppy here for several classes. The trainers were positive, approachable, and encouraging. They worked with us on our individual concerns and helped turn our wild beast into a (more) mannered family member. He still has some growing up to do, but the training we received at Lucky Dog was invaluable.
In our nearly 15 years of marriage, my husband and I have moved many times — across the state and within the Metroplex. But, in the last 10 years, we’ve found a home here in North Fort Worth. In that time, lots has changed, but our very favorite part of our neighborhood — the sense of community; our friends, our family, our neighbors, make this our home. We know you’ll love it as much as we do.
The Fort Worth Moms Blog hosts 19 Neighbor Groups via Facebook, including the Tarrant County Northwest Neighbor Group. These groups are free to join and offer online and offline opportunities to build relationships and gain resources from other moms in the area.