I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008, not long after I moved to Fort Worth. At the time, I had never heard of a gluten free (GF) diet, and finding GF options that actually tasted good was next to impossible. (I may or may not have cried the first time I tried GF bread.) Less than 10 years later, gluten free diets are commonplace for both children and adults . . . and we have some fantastic options here in Fort Worth to get some quality GF grub. I’ve rounded up a few of my favorites below.
**If cross-contamination is an issue for you or your loved ones, be sure to double-check with each restaurant about its preparation of gluten free dishes.**
- McKinley’s Fine Bakery and Cafe — This is one of my favorite spots for client meetings or girls’ lunches because of the variety for gluten free diners. Great salads, gluten free breads for sandwiches available, and best of all, gluten free cookies! The Horned Frog cookie is to DIE for.
- Stir Crazy Baked Goods — I have not yet been here personally, but have heard great things! Currently moving into Magnolia Cheese Company’s former space, it regularly has ready-to-eat GF baked goods in the display case.
- Mama’s Pizza — A Fort Worth institution, Mama’s has one of the best gluten free pizzas I’ve tasted. Yum.
- Fred’s Texas Cafe — The TCU/Bluebonnet Circle location has gluten free hamburger buns. Bear in mind, I’ve heard the fries are NOT GF.
- Pho District — I just tried this one recently and was very impressed. Gluten free items are labeled on the menu and include fried spring rolls and the traditional noodle soup.
- Joe T. Garcia’s/Esperanza’s — Both restaurants make their corn tortillas in-house . . . and let’s not forget that margaritas are naturally gluten free.
- Swiss Pastry Shop — If you haven’t had the Black Forest Un-Cake, get to Swiss Pastry as fast as you can. It also has gluten free bread and rolls available for its delicious gourmet sandwiches.
- Max’s Wine Dive — Amazing gluten free fried chicken. And pancakes (during brunch hours). And champagne. Need I say more?
- Boomerjacks Grill and Bar — Boomerjack’s was one of the first restaurants where I was able to get a hamburger on a GF bun, and I always go back. Good burgers and good fries — and everything is labeled GF on the main menu. Great for families!
- Hoffbrau — I just found out that Hoffbrau added a gluten sensitive menu that includes GF hamburger buns. I plan to try this one soon.
- Thirteen Pies — Formerly Fireside Pies, Thirteen Pies now has two locations: Fort Worth and Atlanta. While pregnant with my daughter, the Burrata Mozzarella pie was one of the only things I sent my husband after to satisfy a massive craving. It is SO good.
- Palio’s Pizza Cafe — Palio’s makes its dough from scratch every day and has tons of options. Dine in and it’s BYOB, or Palio’s even delivers to some areas of Fort Worth. Delicious.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes — Now offering a gluten free option: chocolate chip. Treat yo’ self.
- P.F. Chang’s — Easily one of the largest and most diverse gluten free menus available. They even have a GF-specific website!
- Bravo! Cucina Italiana — This is a great spot for kids . . . you can draw on the table!
There are so many options, I know I’ve missed some great ones. I’d love to put together a comprehensive list to post here on the Fort Worth Moms Blog. Please comment below or on Facebook with your favorite gluten free spot in Fort Worth!